python bindings

vivek khurana mailing.vivek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:27:23 CET 2007

> Python is already present in OpenEmbedded and it is working. To get more
> python extensions available for OpenMoko powered devices I rather
> suggest pkg-python project which will group few developers working on
> extending Python packaging. Take a look at [1] so you will see which
> ones are already present.
>
> We really should not fragment software support into 'python from OE,
> python from OM projects, python from that guy, python from other guy'
> but improve existing support. This is not Maemo or SharpROM (which both
> has mess when it comes to extra packages).
>
> 1.
> http://www.openembedded.org/filebrowser/org.openembedded.dev/packages/python

huh...
 Even I am not interested in fragmenting the project as mentioned in
the mail. But I can infer that even though it took 3 weeks for the
project to get approved no one actually bothered to review the project
proposal.
 Yes there are existing bindings for python as pointed by you in the
mail and  Mickey here
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wish_List#Python_bindings

But dude did you try to run pygtk  from openembeded on openmoko ? It
might work out of the box or it might not work at all. So there is
some work that needs to be done. Also, we need to build bindings which
are specific to openmoko for developing applications on openmoko using
python. And i am not talking about primitive applications that can be
developed on Maemo using python but i am referring to pygtk
applications which can developed for a desktop. In case someone has
succeeded in running python/pygtk out of the box for openmoko, do let
me know.
 How do we proceed now? Should we bother work on the project or just
delete the project ? I am leaving this upto the admin(s) to decide, at
last no one prefers there work to go waste. If not python we will
think of working on something else.

regards
VK

PS:- should we make it mandatory for project proposals to be announced
on mailing list ?