Profiles, VoIP, and location awareness - SoC idea proposal

Tyler Williams tylerw at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 22 18:20:34 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm a student interested in working for the OpenMoko Summer of Code
project. Basically, the project I want to work on is made up of three
main parts, mostly from the wishlist, and I wanted to just put it out
there and see  if I could find a mentor for it.

So the first part of what I want to do is work on implementing a profile
manager, that would let you define certain global settings and associate
them with a profile. So basically you would be able to say put the phone
in silent mode and know that all incoming notifications will be silenced
and instead the phone will vibrate, etc... Basically all modern phones
have this in some form or another. This would involve both creating the
location manager app, as well as making different applications aware of it.

Next, I would like to get a VoIP client up and running on the phone.
Something simple, preferably like a daemon or commandline app that will
run in the background. I've looked at libjingle, googles solution, as
well as openZoep, or something else.

Thirdly, letting the profile manager be location aware, either through
the GPS, or scanning for known available networks (bluetooth, or in the
future, wifi) would be done.

Finally, everything  could be tied together. This would allow the phone
to provide VoIP service when it's in range of a known (or in the future,
any open) wireless network, and then when it's out of range, it could
just default to using the regular phone. The transition should be
relatively seamless, and transparent to the user, so they wouldn't have
to worry about manually opening up and using a VoIP program etc, they
could just dial.

Anyway, I plan on submitting an application, I just wanted to see if
there was any interest among people who will be mentoring in something
like this. If I'm way off base here, or this stuff all already exists
and I just missed it, please let me know...

Thanks
    --Tyler