Calculator for OpenMoko

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Thu Mar 22 23:56:18 CET 2007

Le jeudi 22 mars 2007 à 15:43 -0400, Robert Alatalo a écrit :
> I don't know if you were starting this from scratch or not...
[...]

Yes, from scratch. Honestly, it was just a test don't use it now for an
exam or serious engineering computation - in fact, initially, I
considered putting it in the examples/ directory. But well, at least
it's simple (there is only one source file in fact) and may eventually
do the 4 operations usefully.

I am also interested in seeing how the designers would want such a
simple app. to operate (that's more an UI work then) or in details like
internationalizations (or the autotools framework).

For anything more serious, like a scientific calculator, or even
financial, etc. I totally agree that we should try to start with an
existing application code base. In fact, that's exactly what I wanted to
do later on eventually. I'm glad to see that others had the same idea as
that could be a bigger task. (I don't have a favorite, but I used
gcalctool or qalculate! - even looked at the code of the latter.)

However, in the meantime, it seems I finally got the four basic
arithmetic operations right (with 10 digits or so limited precision)
with honest display (I had to redo a sort of sprintf("%g"...) however)
_and_ bigger fonts!
Just for your viewing pleasure, what do you think of the slightly
changed look?:
http://rodolphe.ortalo.free.fr/mokocalc2.png
http://rodolphe.ortalo.free.fr/mokocalc3.png

Oh, they always say "release early, release often", so, just in case:
http://rodolphe.ortalo.free.fr/openmoko-calculator-0.0.2.tar.gz
NB: debug output is still activated, if it compiles of course...

And, if you have hints on how i18n should be done...

Rodolphe