USB on-the-go (OTG)- how to use the Neo1973 with USB host and an external keyboard?

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 05:47:57 CET 2007

Robert Michel writes:

>> While I don't know the answer to your question (I'd try grounding the
>> fifth pin to see what happens),
>You did it?

No, that's a hypothetical "I would try, if I were you", not a
from-experience "I did try".  If I had, I'd know whether it worked!

>> I was corrected on this point a while
>> ago:  the device doesn't use OTG.  It can act as either host-side or
>> device-side, but doesn't do it with the whole complex OTG protocol.
>
>Then there would be the question, how to switch into the host mode?
>And is there any risk to conect to devices in host modus without OTG
>protocol?

USB is carefully enough specified that I'd be very surprised if there
was any risk of hardware damage.  Of course, that's advice for *your*
phone -- I don't have one!

>Ah, and another question about the "device modus"
>http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Product_IDs
>Could the Neo1973 be two or more (virtual) devices simultanious?
>E.g. ethernet and mass storage device?

No idea, sorry.