A few questions about i18n (and calc issues)

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Sat Mar 24 10:50:04 CET 2007

Le vendredi 23 mars 2007 à 23:44 +0000, Alexander McLeay a écrit :
[...]
> I find numbers larger than about 10 000 completely unreadable without
> thousands separators. And I’m uncomfortable with the German style. So yes,
> I would think anything should support localised decimal points/thousands
> seps, and ensure that they adapt to the users settings! (Most operating
> systems default to comma for thousands sep here in Australia, but the
> recommended/official method, which I prefer, is a space.)

I worked on that yesterday. Apparently, the number display issue is
entirely managed inside the (v)(s)(n)printf() functions of the C
library; so not much control remains inside the calling program.
Apparently LC_NUMERIC gives the user the final control on the actual
display.

The only impact that remains on an app like the calculator is, in fact,
the size of the displayed label versus the available space in the fixed
width screen versus the precision of calculus. (12,234.001 23 is wider
than 12234.00123.) Maybe we should adapt the font size to display the
entire number (maybe not, but changing the numerical precision may not
be wise in this case - I did that to display big number like 1,234567 e
+17 to gain space for the e+17 exponent part) but then we need a more
intelligent widget for displaying number (fortunately Mickey already
pointed out this widget case - so let's study the one in the dialer).

Rodolphe