Asterisk on Openmoko

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Fri Mar 30 18:32:32 CEST 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:55:16AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "Kannaiyan Natesan" <gbpnkans at gmail.com> writes:
> > Can anyone please confirm whether asterisk runs in the real openmoko
> > phone and takes in the audio ? (asterisk has alsa channel interface).
>
> I can understand why you would want to run a softphone on the Neo (in
> conjunction with something like WiFi that would let you terminate VOIP
> very nicely) but why would you want to run the *switch* on the phone?
> You really want all of that on a server, not on the instrument.

I agree.  Please also keep in mind that asterisk is anything but
suitable for mobile, slow-cpu, low-memory devices with no FPU.

I'd expect stuff like transcoding, echo cancellation, dtmf detection,
etc. are going to take ages - if they can at all be done in realtime
without proper fixed point arithmetic implementation.

I'd also say that something like a SIP softphone is probably what you
want.  or even less than that: emulate a headset via bluetooth, i.e.
have the neo act as a headset device for your PC based softphone
application.