Asterisk on Openmoko

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Mar 30 23:17:45 CEST 2007

"Kannaiyan Natesan" <gbpnkans at gmail.com> writes:
>> I'd also say that something like a SIP softphone is probably what you
>> want.  or even less than that: emulate a headset via bluetooth, i.e.
>> have the neo act as a headset device for your PC based softphone
>> application.
>
> Asterisk is  a PBX. Now we can PBX in hand to handle the calls
> smoothly in whatever the way we want.

There is no point in having a PBX in the end device. You aren't going
to switch 20 calls through your handset simultaneously and you don't
have enough bandwidth to do it even if you're silly enough to desire
it. The phone also isn't going to be on all the time, or on the
network at all times.

> You want to record during the conversation and playback later?

If you want that, use a software PBX server in a closet on a proper
UPS with a stable connection to the PSTN and/or Internet. There is no
point to PBX functionality on the *phone*. If you want to record the
conversation, you can do it on a box with plenty of CPU, disk, etc.,
not on the phone.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com