Always-on networking via GPRS

Bjarne Vestergaard bjvest at post.cybercity.dk
Mon May 7 22:02:11 CEST 2007

As far as I recall, GPRS relies on something called a PDP context to carry
information like the IP address of the handset. When a call comes in, the
GPRS service is temporarily disabled, but the PDP context need not be
destroyed. Or, more precisely, the handset implementation _could_ be made to
let the PDP context survive. When the voice call is terminated again and the
GPRS service is reactivated, the PDP context can therefore be reused. Hence,
the handset IP address will not change in this case.

Best regards,
Bjarne