Please Ignore RS232 message. The subject should read IrDA port... Sorry

Alan Ide gamebeavis at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:24:43 CEST 2007

EDIT: Sorry about the RS232 message, I wrote 2 emails about different
questions, and sent them to the wrong mailing lists, apparently too long of
a week already. :-)

Hi all,

I have stated before that one of the first things I want to do with my moko
after taking it out of the box and blessing it as my first born is to add an
IR port to it. That way I can throw away all my remote controls and have one
truly godlike device. Let me start by saying, I have NO idea when it comes
to hardware (well, just enough to be dangerous really). I know that the CPU
has GPIO with some unused pins, and I "think" I could fairly easily make an
IrDA port as long as I had use of one of the pins, and a ground.

I guess my question is, how would I go about sending data to that pin from a
program? I would have to explain to the cpu what data rate to use, and what
data to send. I realize that would require writing a driver for the device
(new territory for me), but I am not really sure what steps to take to go
about adding a hardware device and then writing the software to use it..

Thank you,
alan