Home-Brew IR port. Was - Please Ignore RS232 message. The subject should read IrDA port... Sorry

Paulo Marques pmarques at grupopie.com
Fri May 11 18:42:22 CEST 2007

Alan Ide wrote:
> The IR transmitter I found on LIRC is a home-brew transmitter that is
> simply a serial port device. So if my understanding is correct, LIRC is
> simply sending data at the baud rate of the serial port (19.2 I think)
> and the data itself is modulated to get the desired effect.

Probably 38400, but it is still not "perfect", just close enough to
work, sort of.

> Thus, we
> arent taxing the driver or the hardware at all, it is simply a one way
> serial communications data stream. As long as we can configure one of
> the GPIO pins as a serial communications port (via the driver
> interface), this should all work just as planed. So either we need an
> unused serial port, or we need to configure one of the GPIO pins to be
> the TX of a serial port, and we have a functioning unit.

If there is a spare serial port that can do the needed baud rate, that
might work. But, AFAIK there is no way to "configure one of the GPIO
pins to be the TX of a serial port"...

> Thank you for your ideas, every idea helps.

No problem,

--
Paulo Marques
Software Development Department - Grupo PIE, S.A.

"The Computer made me do it."