Home-Brew IR port. Was - Please Ignore RS232 message. The subject should read IrDA port... Sorry

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Fri May 11 19:22:36 CEST 2007

Werner Almesberger writes:
>I wrote:
>> You could of course try to dual use some UART. I wonder why LIRC
>> requires a UART. Does it use it to generate the 38 kHz carrier ?
>
>Ah, postings crossed. Well, given that you have real PWMs, you
>could also consider dual-using one of these, in addition to
>dual-using a UART. It all depends on which current-use item you
>find most convenient to sacrifice :)

Two thoughts -- first, one wonders if RTS/CTS handshaking is really used
by the GPS?  Maybe the pins could be wired together on the GPS, or
even just wire RTS high?

Second, if either that's feasible or the pin can be dual-used, the
spec sheet says the UART is IrDA-compliant.  So if it can be used at
all, it ought to be possible to hook up an LED and have it work.