Sound problem in Qemu

Andrzej Zaborowski andrew at openedhand.com
Wed May 30 15:51:52 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 11:31:37AM +0200, Charlotte Holtzer wrote:
> I've tried to use the openmoko/flash.sh script in order to boot qemu but I
> have always two problems.
> The script says to try the following command to boot qemu:
> arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm  -M neo -m 130 -mtdblock openmoko/openmoko-
> flash.image -kernel openmoko/openmoko-kernel.bin -show-cursor
>
> My first problem is the sound. It cannot found a soundcard. I set
> QEMU_AUDIO_DRV with all variables(oss, alsa, sdl, non, wav, fmod), but there
> wasn't any results. I also added the option -soundhw all in the command, but
> it doesn't work.

Ok, I just checked and there's yet another difficulty: the audio driver
(WM8753 driver) is not compiled into the kernel by default since 2.6.21
- instead it is a module.  This means the kernel won't be able to detect
the WM8753 until the modules is inserted.  Kernel modules for openmoko
are distributed separately in the modules-*.tgz files at
http://buildhost.openmoko.org/tmp/deploy/images/
but transferring them to the Neo1973 may get ugly.  It's best to build a
kernel of your own that includes the drivers you need - or give Xephyr
or Xoo a try (I'm sure they will both provide a much better sound
quality).

The -soundhw option is not necesary for ARM.

> Moreover, Qemu doesn't work because: 'no filesystem could mount root'.
> He doesn't find root fs and I don't know how to change it.

Hmm, this means that the flash.sh script basically failed to program
the rootfs - there may be several reasons to this, one them is a timing
issue that the script had in the previous versions, but that should have
been fixed last week - so updating qemu-neo1973 is worth a try.

HTH,
Andrzej