Current bugbears

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Sep 4 19:59:19 CEST 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Claes Mogren wrote:

> I call bullshit on this signal restriction. How come they've
> successfully had wifi on planes without any problems?
Have you tried all WiFi devices on all planes?

> And I know that people have their phones on all the time while
> flying and I've never heard that it has caused a crash or even been
> noticed in any way. Can't imagine that there's any GSM signal to
> pick up a 30000ft anyway when you move at 800km/h.

Note that you're typically not moving at 800km/h relative to all
towers.    In fact, if you can see a tower (LOS), then its likely not
in front of, or behind the plane, so the
relative velocity could be quite low.

> Also, if GPS is bad for the planes, how come the US is going to use
> it to navigate the planes?
> (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/04/
> gps_satnav_air_traffic_for_america/ )

What if your GPS interferes with their GPS, because it happens to
have a broken ground on the shield on its oscillator?

(see previous message).