gettext support for OpenMoko applications

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Mon Apr 7 14:25:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just had a discussion about the following message with some
colleagues:

"1 unfinished task(s)"

This currently appears on the "Today" screen in OpenMoko if you have one
outstanding task. I suggested using an if statement so that "(s)" was
not required. It was brought to my attention that gettext supports these
kind of single/plural strings with the following function:

char * ngettext (const char * msgid, const char * msgid_plural, unsigned
long int n);

This even supports languages such as Polish, where there are different
variations for 1, 3 and 5 items.

However, very few of the current OpenMoko applications currently support
gettext and therefore, very few of the applications are actually
translatable as well.

Are there any plans to include full gettext support in OpenMoko
applications? If not, then is there any consensus on whether the
OpenMoko applications should support translations?

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/