gettext support for OpenMoko applications

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Tue Apr 8 08:00:46 CEST 2008

Dnia Monday 07 of April 2008, Thomas Wood napisał:

> "1 unfinished task(s)"
>
> This currently appears on the "Today" screen in OpenMoko if you have
> one outstanding task. I suggested using an if statement so that "(s)"
> was not required. It was brought to my attention that gettext supports
> these kind of single/plural strings with the following function:
>
> char * ngettext (const char * msgid, const char * msgid_plural,
> unsigned long int n);
>
> This even supports languages such as Polish, where there are different
> variations for 1, 3 and 5 items.

I will not write who said "Polish language is insane" :D

> However, very few of the current OpenMoko applications currently
> support gettext and therefore, very few of the applications are
> actually translatable as well.
>
> Are there any plans to include full gettext support in OpenMoko
> applications? If not, then is there any consensus on whether the
> OpenMoko applications should support translations?

Are there plans to make on screen keyboard i18n capable? Will people be
able to add Russian, Greek, Polish, Khmer etc keyboard layouts and
dictionaries? I would like to not have to fight with i18n like I have to
on Maemo platform...

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

         Shell to DOS... Come in DOS, do you copy? Shell to DOS...