dbus failure to connect to the session bus

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Apr 8 11:15:46 CEST 2008

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Chia-I Wu <olv at openmoko.org> wrote:
>>  You need to know the address of the session bus to connect, which is
>>  available in the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable.
>>
>>  This is what I do:
>>
>>  $ cat /proc/<pid of openmoko-today>/environ
>>  (extract DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and...)
>>  $ export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=blah
>>
>>  Don't know if there is a better way.
>
> proctology eh?  :-)  But I don't want to depend on openmoko-today to
> be running, either.
>
> I modified cat /etc/X11/Xsession for now:
>
> echo "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" > /tmp/dbus-session
>
> IMO there must be some way to discover this DBUS address.

I find this approach very useful and simple. I was about to suggest
something similar.

I would propose that everything that makes some system-wide usable
environment should also write a 'export FOO=BAR' into
/volatile-memory/..../environ.d/FOO

/etc/profile could then source them all.

Openmoko is not multiuser. There is no reason why a ssh user should not
be able to start X programs or use gconf and dbus.
So what abut making DISPLAY, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and so on system wide?

Regards
  Tilman