dbus failure to connect to the session bus

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:28:12 CEST 2008

Maybe the real issue is that system-wide services ought to be offered
on the system bus rather than the session bus.

For example which process provides org.openmoko.Dialer?  If the answer
is the X dialer application, then this service is not available when X
is not running.  But if gsmd is running, then the phone should be able
to make phone calls regardless which kind of GUI front-end is in use.
So it seems to me that gsmd should provide the service, on the system
bus.  gpsd would be like that too, I would think.  (But I was planning
to investigate the gpsd support for dbus next.)

But there are potentially permission problems right?  How does a
non-privileged-user app interact with services on the system bus?
(assuming not everything runs as root, eventually)  oh well, more
general questions I should ask on the dbus list, I guess.