Future Button and LED software spec

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Apr 17 01:42:21 CEST 2008

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Comments?

| If it still hangs, remove the battery.

Remove battery and disconnect USB ?

| All LEDs will be turned off. (Can we change that?)

Right now, we could only leave them permanently on, which comes with a
hefty electricity bill, particularly on GTA02v5 (each LED burns about
150mW). In GTA02v6, this should come down to about 25mW, maybe less.

| If Bluetooth is powered on, WIRELESS will emit a short blink every 2 seconds.
| If Wifi is powered on, WIRELESS will emit a long blink every 2 seconds.

Is there a way to distinguish the two ? Should there be ?

| If Bluetooth and Wifi are powered on, WIRELESS will be lit continuosly.

That can be  costly (see above). On GTA02v5, one LED alone, with
everything else turned off, will drain your battery in less than 10
hours, proabably in less than 8.

If all we're really interested in is whether some wireless is active,
perhaps it should just be  blink = wlan || bt;  People can get the
details from the LCM.

| Pressing AUX will acknowledge the event with the topmost priority and
| display it to you.

Hmm, will there also be an indicator on the LCM that lets you get the
event without knowing about AUX ? I find anything that involves buttons
quite counter-intuitive, particularly given that a) our buttons are a
bit hidden, and b) nothing on the LCM tells you what they do.

Besides that, it looks good.

- Werner