userspace memory

Schmidt András asch at freemail.hu
Thu Jan 31 11:32:07 CET 2008

Hi!

Jan Lübbe wrote:
> Take a look at [1]. Is is a patch for a new infrastructure in the kernel
> for notifying user processes that free memory is getting low.
>
> It might be merged in 2.6.25 or we could apply it to the OpenMoko kernel
> if necessary until it is merged.
>
> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/266586
I like the concept :-). Actually I am developing in Java (this is the
project's page: http://yamamap.wiki.sourceforge.net/) so it will not be
easy to interface with the kernel. I will have to write a JNI wrapper
library at least. It would be too early now, but later I will consider
to use this technology. The knowledge will be handy in other projects as
well :-).

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> so thats what is paged in and needed in ram
> other than buffers/cache. the rest is available (so lets say 90-95m) is what
> you'd get.

The system that was dumped by Werner Almesberger uses a bit more memory
(ceratinly we don't know what application he was using :-)).

I could summarize that planning with use of 40-60M of memory seems not
to be too optimistic.

Thanks for all replies!

Schmidt András