Help with creating a high-functionality, high-stability FSO/ASU based release

Bobby Martin bobbymartin2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 22:15:38 CEST 2008

We want to create a new image and do regular builds.  You can see
below for the details of what we want to do, but I have a question
independent of the specifics...

What is the best way to start a new release in which you do some
userspace customizations, but mostly use the existing FSO and ASU
packages, and the same OE baseline?  Should we:

a) start our own git repository, and pull updates from the OE, FSO and
ASU/2007.2 git repositories?
b) label and/or branch the OE, FSO, ASU repositories and do any
customization on the branches?
c) some mixture of the above two
d) something totally different?

Thanks!
Bobby

vvvv  Below is the info about what we're trying to do, specifically vvvv

See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Stable_Hybrid_Release to sign up to
help out, or to get the images once we have something.

**Overview**

The Stable Hybrid Release (SHR) is intended to be a combination of the
FSO, some of the 2007.2 GTK software, and the ASU that provides all of
the functionality of the 2007.2 software, but with the stability of
the FSO and the new GUI toolkits provided by the ASU. It will probably
be based on an ASU build, with the FSO software and GTK end-user apps
added.

(We're not married to the idea of using the GTK apps, but they already
exist and are more-or-less debugged at least on the UI side. If
someone knows of a more stable and/or usable app that's appropriate
for the OM, let us know by dropping a comment on the Talk tab of this
page.)

**First steps**

The first pass at making the GTK software use the FSO will involve
just creating a gsmd workalike that sends commands to the ophoned dbus
api from FSO. mickeyterm is an example of another program that lets
you send GSM commands through ophoned.

We want to have a build that is stable, so we'll need some standard
way of identifying the latest stable pieces of all the different
software in the SHR, as well as a way to identify previous released
versions of the SHR.

(See http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Stable_Hybrid_Release to read more.)

Thanks,
Bobby

--
If it doesn't make you smile, you're doing something wrong.

--
If it doesn't make you smile, you're doing something wrong.