Help with creating a high-functionality, high-stability FSO/ASU based release

Asheesh Laroia openmoko at
Fri Jul 4 20:35:58 CEST 2008

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Mike (mwester) wrote:

> Andy Green wrote:
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>> | I'll volunteer to assist on kernel and the base image maintenance.
>> |
>> | This is a community project, not an Openmoko (the company) project -- as
>> | such I suggest that for the infrastructure we consider using the
>> | development environment (and repository) that the OM git repository
>> | originally derived from, and remains loosely in sync with.  That would
>> | be the OE (OpenEmbedded) stuff.
>> Woohoo, fork city!
> As Mickey noted in his earlier email on this topic, why fork OE?  This
> is not a fork, its continuing development of a project that originated
> in OE, and was forked to a separate git repo later on.
> As a matter of fact, OE isn't very good at creating forks.  It assembles
> distros from released software gathered from all points on the Internet,
> and to cause it to make a significant deviation from a released bit of
> software is rather painful.

Totally understood.  After a discussion with roh on IRC, here are the
current plans:

We have a milestone called SHR (Stable Hybrid Release) in OM trac:

We have our first ticket: creating a branch in for the
SHR development:

This way we work in the same place as the main OM hackers.

This is what roh suggested, as I understand it: We will use this to store
patches to the 2007.2 applications as bitbake distribution-specific
patches, and when they get ready for inclusion we will email them to the
openmoko-devel list.

However, given your discussion of vs., I ask - is there a
git repository at OE we could use instead of the git repository at

Put another way - do you have a better suggestion than the above? (-:

I'm trying to understand the discussion in good faith; if I make a
mistake, please help me make sense of things. (-:

-- Asheesh.

Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.