WLAN in ad-hoc or master mode

Timo Drick timo at drick.de
Sun Jul 6 19:48:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

i told already in the last mail that i plan to control a rc-car with my
new Freerunner.

For my project it is import that the car is the wlan client and the
Phone is the master. Ad-hoc mode is also sufficient.

Kernel version i use: uname -a
Linux om-gta02 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Sat Jul 5 01:18:58 CEST 2008 armv4tl
unknown

Switch the wlan interface of Freerunner into master mode failed:
iwconfig eth0 mode master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device eth0 ; Invalid argument.

"iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc" do not throw any error message but do not work:
iwconfig eth0 channel 1
iwconfig eth0
eth0      AR6000 802.11g  ESSID:"moko"
          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm
Sensitivity=0/3
          Retry:on
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/94  Signal level:-95 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm

there are no frequency set. And the openmoke is not able to connect to
the other ad-hoc station. I have another wlan station in promiscuous
mode with airodump output. And this station do not report any packet
from the phone. Just the other station is detected.

Any hints?

An other problem in managed mode with the wpasupplicant:

Roaming mode do not work because of missing the script /sbin/wpa_action
i copy the wpa_action script from my ubuntu hardy installation but it do
not process the interface configuration with dhcp
here is my configuration:
#####################################
/etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

id_str="home"
iface home inet dhcp
auto eth0
#####################################
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
network={
    id_str="home"
    ssid="wg"
    psk="my secret"
}

important here is that the wpa connection do work. Just the dhcp
interface configuration is not processed.
Are there any reasons why the wpasupplicant package do not contain the
wpa_action script?
(Configuration with the commented wpa-conf line do work. The phone
connect to the access point and get dhcp address.)

regards
     Timo