Reading SIM card contacts (was [Fwd: about openmoko input method])

Bobby Martin bobbymartin2 at
Sun Jul 6 23:03:12 CEST 2008

> From: xiangfu <xiangfu at>
> there are another two question:
> 1. where is the code of read SIM card contacts. i want it can read Chinese.
>  there is some different between English and Chinese store in SIM card.

I wrote a python script to do this; you can get it at

It doesn't specifically handle internationlization.  I don't know if
libgsmdtool will stream internationalized characters, or even if
python streams i18n characters correctly by default.  It would at
least be a starting place.  The script inserts the contacts using the
2007.2 dbus interface; you would need to change it to target another

If you do have to change it, I would love to have the code updates :-)
 I need to get this into

The code is availble under GPL v2.0, although I still need to get that
into the code itself.

There was also some code written by a Chinese fellow that is (I think)
integrated into the 2007.2 contacts application.  It did handle i18n.
It should just be an option in the 2007.2 contacts application...

If it doesn't make you smile, you're doing something wrong.