TangoGPS and GPSD

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Mon Jul 7 08:39:00 CEST 2008

|> this explains that there is a problem with the internal antenna.
|> the gps receiver detects a shortage and disables the antenna :-(
|> same problem with my new gta02 :-(
| I don't understand Andy's findings that way.
| Seems more like GPS-receiver can't even switch off antenna at all. The
| story about Vcont is just switching between internal and ext. ant.,
and is
| done by a separate chip (UPG2012TB).
| No way to switch ant. off for ublox-receiver

According to Shawn Lin examining it, the effect of that problem is IIRC
2dB drop in signal level, it doesn't kill anything.  And I don't believe
it makes trouble itself, despite it's not right, because when I shorted
the antenna path to the internal one bypassing that antenna mux, it
didn't change anything.

I did see though that external antenna was always a good way, why I
never got to the bottom of.  Some days I would get great response from
internal antenna and other days not, with same test situation.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)