TangoGPS and GPSD

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 7 15:22:25 CEST 2008

Marcus Bauer wrote:
> it seems nobody has ever really tested it and
> nobody cares to test it. Instead of theoretical answers I would expect
> to get some real world TTFF values.

I compared mine a while ago to my two GPS receivers that aren't Neos
(an old Tom Tom and an even older Garmin eTrex), and it performed at
least as good, both outside and indoors. This was without moving it,
though.

> Even more irritating is that Openmoko engineers believe that 12 minutes
> are a 'normal' cold start time.

Naw, if memory serves me, that was about 45 seconds outdoors. Indoors
took longer, but it still beat the Tom Tom and the Garmin didn't get
a fix at all.

> going into a brick building and it keeps it at least as long as a decent
> SirfIII based GPS. This means it is most likely no hardware problem.

That's good !

- Werner