TangoGPS and GPSD

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:46:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 10:22 -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> if memory serves me, that was about 45 seconds outdoors. Indoors
> took longer, but it still beat the Tom Tom and the Garmin didn't get
> a fix at all.

That sounds good, too!

> > going into a brick building and it keeps it at least as long as a decent
> > SirfIII based GPS. This means it is most likely no hardware problem.
>
> That's good !

The question remains what the problem is? There are several reports now
on the community list with people saying getting no fix or taking
unreasonably long under good conditions. Kai Römer has six GTA02 and
sees this problem on all of them.

I wonder if the firmware has changed? A strange thing I see quite often
is a wrong time coming from the GPS chip with an offset of ~15 seconds
into the future. It takes at least half an hour to correct this and only
then the receiver is capable of going inside a house without losing the
fix.

The same strangeness happens when using AGPS. There is a good chance
that the firmware is broken. Unless the firmware is user-updateable this
is not so good.

As there are now at least 20 reports and not a single positive one, I
would think that Openmoko gets up and somebody says "yes, we are
investigating into this". I really don't understand this.

Marcus