Current Bootchart

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 8 12:45:12 CEST 2008

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:38:54 +0800 Fred Chien <fred at openmoko.com> babbled:

> after collect informations, we can sum up the most important issues for
> boot time:
>
> 1. initializing kernel(9 secs)
> 2. initializing boot splash (exquisite/exquisite-write)  (8 secs)
> 3. udev (udev/udevd) (29 secs)
> 4. updating dynamic library cache will waste a lot of time (ldconfig)
> (18secs)

exquisite-write doesn't look right to me. it should not be sitting there for 8
seconds - i think this is the sum of exquisite-write being called many times
during boot (it is called to connect and write some update info to exquisite),
so i suspect that part of the chart is wrong. exquisite itself there seems
mostly to eat cpu, but for a very long time... it' be nice to know at which
point there exquisite actually DISPLAYS something (is all that cpu just
wonder if that initial exquisite-write is also the -wait (that waits for
exqusitie to come up). every 0.1 seconds it checks to see if it can connect.
this shouldnt use much cpu at all - or any worth talking about as all it does
is attempt to open a unix socket to connect to...

overall i suspect most of the time is chewed up in decompressing multiple times
(IO) jffs2 decompressing then eet/edje decompressing again itself.

which brings me back to... we need a way to avoid jffs2 compression for some
types of files. eg: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif, *.edj, *.mp3 ... :)