Current Bootchart / breaking SD boot

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Thu Jul 10 00:35:47 CEST 2008

Marcelo schrieb:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Mike (mwester) <mwester at dls.net> wrote:
>

>> And pulling the battery out too (no current user-space images of which
>> I am aware actually power down the GSM, so if you aren't pulling out
>> the battery, you're not in "airplane mode"!!)
>>

>  Most consumer electronics in this category don't really power down,
>  even if you press the physical "power off" button.  A tiny bit of the
>  system is still running to do miscellaneous stuff.  ARM9 processors
>  like the one in the OpenMoko have a sleep mode that freezes the system
>  state, but it's otherwise "on".
>
>  I have always wondered about the real reason behind asking people to
>  turn off phones during take off and landing.  Recently I heard that
>  it's actually only one of the cases that matters, I think it was
>  landing.  Once I forgot that I had dropped my phone in my backpack even
>  before leaving out for the airport and I realised this only when I
>  arrived at my final destination.  I wondered how often that kind of
>  thing happens to people all over the world.
>
>  Marcelo

The first airlines already published  studies, that they see no problems
with cellphones.
I don't think there will be any case where a cellphone could in any way
disturb plane electronics.
Only a matter of time till they are allowed on every plane (even it's
pretty useless without in-plane coverage).