GPS Sight calls for help with mysterious GTK crash on FreeRunner

Audrius Meskauskas audriusa at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 11 20:54:00 CEST 2008

We have the code that runs flawlessly on Neo or cross - compiled on
desktop PC but mysteriously crashes on FreeRunner. Shortly speaking, the
attempts to free the string, returned by g_io_channel_read_line with
g_free terminates the program with complains like

*** glibc detected *** gpv: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer:
0x0030a4b8 ***
after that with gdb:
*** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/gpv: free(): invalid next size
(fast): 0x00214d28 ***
and the last one:
*** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/gpv: free(): invalid next size
(fast): 0x00305690 ***

The mentioned g_free statement if the only freeing statement in all
code. The pointer cannot be released twice or released unallocated
because it is assigned to NULL and then the returned value is checked
against NULL before doing anything with it. We post this message because
we already suspect FreeRunner GTK bug.

Could anybody give any hints where the problem may be? We tried to do
web search and found quite many hits to these error messages but the
attempt to fix using this knowledge was not successful.

The source of this project can be browsed at
http://projects.openmoko.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/gpv/src/?cvsroot=gpv

The problematic freeing statement is in gpv.c

Yours sincerely
Audrius Meskauskas