Any standard way to separate between Neo and FreeRunner?

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Sat Jul 12 14:36:29 CEST 2008

Am Samstag 12 Juli 2008 13:50:27 schrieb Audrius Meskauskas:
> GPS Sight currently has releases both for Neo1973 and for FreeRuner.
> Some parts of the code must behave differently for these two phones. For
> instance, on Neo gllin must be started and the NMEA pipe is in another
> place. While some "abstract layer" is likely to be created in the
> future, it would be good to have a standard way to identify in which
> phone the software is running.
>
> Do we have something like that in a place like /etc ?

The canonical way to identify the system you're running on is to
inspect /proc/cpuinfo:

$ grep Hardware /proc/cpuinfo
Hardware        : GTA02

Neo1973 will appear as GTA01, FreeRunner will appear as GTA02. If you wanted,
you could even add specific behaviour for different revisions, since this
will appear in the Revision filed:

$ grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo
Revision        : 0350

This would be GTA02v5.