Ogg vorbis performance.

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 12 23:27:26 CEST 2008

I've noticed that my freerunner is *almost* fast enough to play my ogg
vorbis files; running a second app, or even gpsd causes the media player
to skip, then to go silent.

What's been done to get ogg vorbis to perform well so far?  ogg123,
oggdec seem to be able to decode in roughly 2/3's realtime, which is
similar to the CPU usage of openmoko-mediaplayer.

I noticed that gstreamer is using libvorbisi (tremor) since there is no
floating point unit.  It looks like there are three ways to make it go
faster:

  - Tremolo, which is ARM specific, and claims 15-20% better performance
  - _LOW_ACCURACY_ mode
  - The "low-mem" branch of tremor

Which of these have been tried so far?

Thanks,