Current Bootchart

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at haerwu.biz
Mon Jul 14 12:56:38 CEST 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008 05:30:42 Marek Lindner wrote:

> you chart looks very good !

Sorry for delay on answering but I have to not agree with You Marek.

The 2:53 boot time is disaster - none of my devices takes so much time
to just boot. I probably can go outside and find new phone before that one
will stop booting :(

Take a look at recent Poky updates - we did lot of changes related to
minimize boot time. All of them gave us quite big speedup.

From what I see the Openmoko boot process has few problems:

- heavy bootsplash which block booting instead of going into background
- some things which needs to be done once are on each boot (ipkg, ldconfig,
  probably also depmod)
- use of E17 based stuff with Qtopia based stuff at same time so two heavy
  apps fight for CPU time

Even if you make X11 not starting in background (like it is in Poky) you
can have device blocked for quite long time... We wait some time to give
X11 startup more CPU time and then start other daemons. With configuration
which Openmoko use under X it probably does not give anything special (but
it is worth trying).