Ogg vorbis performance.

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 17 01:08:43 CEST 2008

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:
> On 2008-07-13, Russell Sears <sears at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> Sören Apel wrote:
>>> Heya,

>> vorbis files; running a second app, or even gpsd causes the media player to
>> skip, then to go silent.
>>> Yep.

>> oggdec seem to be able to decode in roughly 2/3's realtime, which is similar
>> to the CPU usage of openmoko-mediaplayer.
>>> If I remember correctly it was a problem with the sample rate/sample
>>> format,
>>> meaning that resampling had to take place - which eats CPU like candy.
>>>
>> Ouch.  What sample rate does the hardware provide, and does pulseaudio or
>> gstreamer do the resampling?  Also, decoding to /dev/null is slow...  That
>> shouldn't resample should it?
>>
>> I've noticed that things I've encoded more recently seem to be less likely
>> to play (perhaps I changed an encoding setting at some point...), but that
>> it varies from track to track...  I'll time some files, and see if I can
>> find a pattern.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rusty

>> floating point unit.  It looks like there are three ways to make it go
>> faster:

>>> None, as I didn't find the time unfortunately. You're more than welcome to
>> try these :)
>
> I use my Freerunner as a mediaplayer. I installed mplayer and stored
> my ogg vorbis files on the micro SD card. They are encoded with high,
> but floating bitrate.
>
> I got no problems when playing.
>
> Also, please note that ogg vorbis is extremely flexible and you can
> select any bitrate for playback without the need for reencode.

There is now a bug for this, number 1614.

I'm beginning to agree with Sören; I think it's resampling or doing
software mixing in the pulseaudio layer.  Getting pulseaudio to perform
passthrough will probably help.

Also, I'm attempting to build all the packages from scratch, and figure
out who links to which vorbis decoder, and with which compilation
options.  Hopefully, we can save some cycles there too.

-Rusty