Ogg vorbis performance.

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu Jul 17 18:10:57 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:46:17PM +0200, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:27:37 +0200, Russell Sears <sears at cs.berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >I uploaded a fix to the bug tracker.  It bypasses PulseAudio and uses
> >ALSA.  Any idea why that helps?  In principle, ALSA and PulseAudio
> >should have to perform the same computations to play the sound back
> >(alsa contains a software resampler...)  I haven't been able to find any
> >obviously mistakes in the configuration files.
> >
> >Also, are there any bad implications to bypassing pulseaudio?  I haven't
> >noticed any.  I'd like to get ogg vorbis (and anything else that outputs
> >16bit/44.1kHz) fixed in the official image...
>
> And why again do we need pulseaudio at all?

For power and performance reasons on a cell phone, I think anything a
sound server does would be much better done in the kernel-level ALSA
drivers. The only downside I can see to this approach whether the
in-kernel bluetooth audio drivers are any good.

Last I tried bluetooth-audio on my laptop I had to run a userspace
daemon.

Speaking of which.. do we have any way to measure the power consumption
of playing a reference .ogg file without special hardware? Are the
built-in battery charge management counters good enough?