opkg issues. best way to run opkg

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 01:40:10 CEST 2008

On 2008-07-16, Emilis Dambauskas <emilis.d at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Yohann (YC) Coppel <leppoc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that if I run the command by ssh, the connection is cut
> > during the process:
> > Restarting Dropbear SSH server: Connection to 192.168.0.202 closed by
> > remote host.
> > .... and the upgrade is probably stopped as well.
> >
> > And if I run it from the terminal on the FR, the upgrade is stopped
> > when X restarts at some point during the process.
> >
> > So, how should I run it ? (there are a lot of packages to be updated,
> > running the command one package at a time is excluded)
>
> My recipe:
>
> 1. open terminal in the phone
> 2. # opkg upgrade > upgrade.log &
> 3. ssh from your PC/laptop into the phone
> 4. # tail -f upgrade.log
> 5. If you are disconnected, just reconnect and run 4. again
>
> This way you also get a log, which may be useful if something crashes.

But if X restarts, he still have the problem.

My best tips is:
ssh into the phone
$ screen
$ opkg update && opkg upgrade
If the ssh session terminates, just ssh in again and run
$ screen -x

Screen is slow. You could also use disown if you use bash:

first install bash on the phone
$ opkg install bash

then, whenever you want to upgrade, do:
laptop $ ssh neo
neo $ bash
neo $ opkg update && opkg upgrade &>upgrade.log &
neo $ disown

neo $ tail -f upgrade.log