GSoC Accelerometer-based Gestures Update

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Wed Jun 4 15:10:51 CEST 2008

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:51:54 +0200, Paul-Valentin Borza
> <paulvalentin at borza.ro> wrote:
>
> One thing that worries me is whether continuous recognition is something
> feasible within Freerunner's battery life and CPU time constraints. Even
> if the gesture recognizer manages to put the device to sleep when there
> is no signal and wake up on motion, there will still be a lot of idle
> processing to do while the user is walking.

I would propose that no geasture detection is needed while the phone is
in standby.
Waking it up with the press of a button is ok.

Maybe some scheme like only recognized gestures reset the sleep timer
and prevent it from going to sleep. So putting it in your pocket would
not keep it running.

Sleep must not necessarily mean cpu sleep. I would say it would be just
fine when gestures are only recognized when the screen is not locked.
(imagine the frustration with all the wrongly recognised gestures you
would get by walking...)

Maybe that is still too much. Would be a pitty...
>> By the way, it would be great if you guys would have ideas for
>> gestures. Although creating a new gesture will be trivial, it would be
>> good for me to know how many I have to create. The demo app will
>> enable auto-answer when picked up from the table, auto-hang-up and
>> snooze the alarm when hit. Any more ideas?

Vigorous shaking (side to side) while receiving a call could reject it.

A sideways swing (90degres) out of the wrist could mean general
Cancel/Esc/Back
A long swing could close a app (more a arm swing than wrist. Same
G-forces but longer time).
These swing moves could be used on two axis and each in two axis for
different usage.
A firm wrist tilt backside down could mean global OK.

Maybe some basic moves like thsese should have absolute global meaning.

(like left, right, enter, esc)

Ah, and apps should be able to register gestures dynamically depending
on the context. ;)

I don't think meanings of gestures should be to complex. Anything that
is not intuitive should not be there. I would like to handle my phone
without setting it accidentally in flight mode or something similar useless.
If gestures that are beeing recognized should probably be shown by name
with a small info flash. So you see that something weird happened just
now because you made some strange movement.

More ideas.
Mute phone my hitting it on something hard three times with one side.

Face down lying still - lock screen
Face up lying still - never lock screen

Most gestures could probably be derived from global options.
For example some prefix to get in volume control mode and then the
normal left-right or scroll moves to control the volume.

With a grammar like this, moves could be simpler and the scanner only
need to scan for context switcher gestures and global gestures. (Maybe
save cpu time...)
Staging gestures like this could also prevent accidental triggering of
some strange commands.
The phone could indicate that it just recognised some context (like a
verb) so i see that strange things can happen now if i move the phone.
So i can wait until it exits this input context of i could wiggle ESC.