gconf or not gconf ?

Guillaume Chereau charlie at openmoko.org
Fri Jun 6 10:36:50 CEST 2008

Hello,
this thread has more its place on the freesmartphone mailing list, but I
would like to get advices from the people on this list as well:

We need a system to allow applications to share configuration data.
For example, I want to be able to set a global volume level somewhere,
and any application can then modify this value, or be notified when the
value is being modified.
Gnome gconf does exactly that.

On the other hand, gconf doesn't have a dbus interface, which is quite
annoying when all the other freesmartphone services do. There is a
project called gconf-dbus
(http://developer.imendio.com/projects/misc/gconf-dbus) but as far as I
understand, it doesn't provide a d-bus api, but just internally uses
d-bus instead of CORBA to communicate with the gconf daemon.

I am not used to gconf, so I can't decide if it is a good thing or not.

So what would you like to have :
a) just gconf ?
b) a dbus interface to gconf ? (that may be a little overkill, the flow
would be like this : app -> dbus daemon -> dbus2gconf -> gconf)
c) an other conf manager ?
d) something totally new ?

cheers,
- charlie