GSoC OpenMoko Bluetooth remote controller - report 1

Valerio Valerio vdv100 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:56:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm one of the GSoC students, here's mine update on the OpenMoko Bluetooth
remote controller project.

For those who don't know my project, I have a small description of the
project and a wish list in the OpenMoko wiki :
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenMoko_Bluetooth_remote_controller

The first phase of my project is write a HID BlueZ driver that can enable
the Openmoko to be seen as a mixed keyboard and mouse in the three major
OS's.
Currently BlueZ support the host role only, so I have to implement the whole
driver from scratch, after reading some documentation about the HID
specification and the USB HID usage tables, I made this progresses:

(tested with my laptop and my mobilephone(Nokia Navigator))

- The bluetooth class device was changed the seen as a Keyboard/mouse combo;
- I wrote a SDP record to register all the keyboard keys and the mouse
gestures (this can be easily changed to a Wiimote record or a PS3 remote
record);
- I wrote a d-bus paring (keypass) script that can be easily associate to
notification system (libnotify or similar);

Because my mobilephone don't provide a Bluetooth packet sniffer and debug
reports to the host computer (only close the connection and don't provide
errors), I bought a Bluetooth usb adapter, to interact to other linux
machine, right now I'm analyzing all the connection process of the HID
device, all the report data is fine, I only have some glitches in the two
channels that must be open and reported to the host computer (interrupt and
control channels). Most of my work till now are research, some part of the
Bluetooth specification are very well documented, but others are really a
mess.

All my work and tests was done in Ubuntu machines,  since I don't have any
Neo.

I will stop my project for a while, I have some exams in the university.

If anybody in the list have experience in the the Bluetooth service
programing or HID, I will appreciate some help :)

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org