Open Device Daemon, Progress Resport 3 [GSoC]

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Tue Jun 10 14:39:00 CEST 2008

Hi,

thanks for your progress report. I finally found time to do a quick review of
the present state of your code. Generally, I'm satisfied with the code
quality, however there are two issues which you should tackle next:

1) dbus API. Please synchronize your API with a) the Dbus naming scheme, e.g.
see our (brief) style guide from OTAPI:

>Style Guide:
>* dbus methods and signals are CamelCased
>* Use Get/Set prefixes for accessors (GetServiceCenter, SetServiceCenter)
>* Use Verbs for operations (ListProviders, Unlock, SendAuthCode)
>* Use similar terms for similar operations (ListProviders, ListCells)

b) Please synchronize the API with python-odeviced. It is planned for odeviced
to be a drop-in replacement for python-odeviced, hence the API should be 99%
compatible. If you have critique points, lets discuss them individually here.

2) plugins. Here I'd also like you to change two things. a) the granularity of
your plugins, i.e. just as in python-odeviced, I'd like to see a kernel 2.6
plugin that handles linux 2.6 device classes (backlight, RTC, leds, power
supplies).

b) It is important that the plugins autoadd/configure individual dbus objects
as much as possible, i.e. the generic kernel 2.6 plugin should scan sysfs for
all class devices it cares about (backlight, RTC, leds, power) and create one
object for every class device.

Regards,

:M:

--