Simplifying the mixer

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Jun 11 14:43:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:46:10PM +0200, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:

> Could I speak you into doing a little fancy and augmenting the controls' names
> (like "PCM Volume") with a reference to the actual hw mixer element,
> like "PCM Volume (R8,R9)", here example given a reference to the register
> that's actually affected according to WM8753_control_diag.pdf and

Doing that (especially in that particular format) is going to upset ALSA
- the names of the controls are parsed by the ALSA user space programs
and used to control how they're displayed and used.  For things that end
up in the OSS compatibility layer the entire control name is important.

When doing this myself I generally use the control table in the driver
to look up the controls in the datasheet where required.  It's pretty
direct, especially in the ALSA->chip direction.