Handling of Qtopia bugs

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Thu Jun 12 01:35:54 CEST 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 00:43, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 22:32:16 Holger Freyther wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > regina begins to test the Qtopia applications and is finding bugs (four
> > files today) and I wonder how we should handle that.
> >
> > I think the possible origin of these bugs are
> >
> > 	1.) Code written or touch by me is broken
> > 	2.) Code written by Trolltech does not work with Qt/X11
> > 	3.) Code written by Trolltech does not work at all
> >
> > I'm clearly responsible for 1st. So what to do about 2nd and 3rd?
> > According to Lorn Trolltech did port Qtopia to Qt/X11 so should we start
> > sending bugs of class 2nd and 3rd to Trolltech as well? How would that
> > go?
> >
> > Possible approach:
> > 	1.) QA is filing bugs
> > 	2.) I judge if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd
> > 	3.) In case of 2nd and 3rd QA is filing bugs at Trolltech
> > 	4.) Public Trolltech task tracker ids get put into the report (I don't
> > think there is a bug ml for Qtopia)
>
> That sounds good.
>
> > We are capable of fixing the issues ourselves and need to fix them for
> > our release anyway. In the best case Trolltech will provide us with a
> > bugfix. Should we hope that Trolltech is providing bug fixes or should we
> > ignore them?
>
> I would not rely on Trolltech directly supplying bugfixes at this point.

I think this depends on the bug. There has been more movement internally
regarding actually developing and supporting Qtopia X11.

> At some point it would be good to establish a more formal relationship
> between the Openmoko project and Trolltech from a support and development
> perspective. Do you know if anything like that has been initiated already?

I believe there were talks between Openmoko and the Qtopia pertner manager -
David Bialer. I do know that Neuros is using Qt Embedded GPL and bought
formal support from Trolltech, which is a first for Trolltech and supporting
GPL 'customers'.

Paid support certainly is a way to get more better faster higher priority
action on bugs.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech