Simplifying the mixer

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Jun 12 16:04:43 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:

> cpu-GPIO[HP_IN]. (what also is a function I expect to see in alsa-driver of
> our "OEM-card", but surely NOT in WM8753-alsa-driver)

Reading this it occurs to me that you may not be familiar with the
structure of an ASoC audio driver (apologies if you are).  Briefly, the
driver is split into three bits:

 - The codec driver, covering all the controls offered by the codec.
 - The SoC driver, controlling the I2S and DMA parts of the system.
 - The machine driver, gluing the above two together and providing any
   additional machine specific controls along with information about
   which pins on the codec are actually connected.

The overall audio driver setup is OpenMoko specific, but the bits that
directly manage the codec and the SoC are shared with other systems
using the same components.