Simplifying the mixer

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 12 16:24:36 CEST 2008

Am Do  12. Juni 2008 schrieb Mark Brown:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Joerg Reisenweber wrote:
>
> > cpu-GPIO[HP_IN]. (what also is a function I expect to see in alsa-driver
of
> > our "OEM-card", but surely NOT in WM8753-alsa-driver)
>
> Reading this it occurs to me that you may not be familiar with the
> structure of an ASoC audio driver (apologies if you are).

No, you're right. I'm not familiar with it. Just a "stupid user"

> Briefly, the
> driver is split into three bits:
>
>  - The codec driver, covering all the controls offered by the codec.
>  - The SoC driver, controlling the I2S and DMA parts of the system.
>  - The machine driver, gluing the above two together and providing any
>    additional machine specific controls along with information about
>    which pins on the codec are actually connected.
>
> The overall audio driver setup is OpenMoko specific, but the bits that
> directly manage the codec and the SoC are shared with other systems
> using the same components.

So this split into different parts assumes the functions/symbols/*names*
exported by the codec driver are valid for all sorts of hw-implementation. To
me it's evident this is not the case. Looks like a design flaw. Names of alsa
controls should be defined at a higher abstraction level that's obviously
specific to the actual hw, this means machine driver (which by the way should
know about the names of the pins as well as about whether they are connected.
Same for function of any mixer element, which depends largely on the actual
routing[=setting of other mixer elements]).
/jOERG