Simplifying the mixer

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 17:40:32 CEST 2008

On 12/06/2008, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> wrote:
>  bottom line: create a GTA02-soundcard driver, with all the right names in it.
>  Switch from WM8753-driver to this driver.
>  Deprecate usage of the WM8753-driver for GTA02.
>  Do all this *now*, because it's an API-break for Apps using alsa-controls

Please don't, and please also don't let the mixer hardware (wm8753) or
its spec influence the user-visible control names.  Especially
register numbers in control names would be strictly a debugging
feature.  The user doesn't care about this, the user wants to see two
volume bars named "Headphones" that control the master volume for left
and eight earpiece and another set of bars for every path that ends at
headphones jack, but clearly marked as such (as far a the ALSA naming
standard allows of course).

This is definitely a task for the mach-gta02.c or neo1973_wm8753.c to
supply a mapping from the WM8753+LM4857 audio paths to strings
describing what they actually do.  It needs to also ensure that paths
that start or end at an input/output which is unconnected on GTA02
don't appear in the mixer at all.  As far as I can see this is mostly
how it's implemented now.