Simplifying the mixer

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 12 20:43:47 CEST 2008

Let me straighten this out a little more:
Our headphones and our speaker "path" share the same physical elements like
amplifier and volume control. So there never will be a separate control in
alsamixer for master level of headphone and another one for speaker (unless
someone will hack the alsa-driver). Instead the one control changes it's
meaning depending on another control that actually does the switching
hp<->spk. What would you suggest for this very simple(!) case to name the
control: "Speaker Vol", "Headphones Vol", "Speaker/Headphones",
"OUT1VOL"? The first 3 names are ambiguous or even incorrect, the 4. will give
a clue to everyone who is trying to understand what is really going to happen
when this control is changed.

Any higher sophisticated userland app could/should use the scenario services
and knowledge about currently active "path" to rename "OUT1VOL"
to "Speaker/Headphone Volume", or even provide two distinct
controls "Headphone" AND "Speaker" and store the setting of the actually
inactive one, while applying the other one to OUT1VOL mixer-element. So "the
user" never gets in contact with technical names, while "low level hackers"
aren't puzzled by wrong simple path related names.
NB: even a cryptic technical name with register-annotation is better than a
completely false name, especially for "the user". I doesn't provoke
frustration of the kind "It's so simple to understand, but it just doesn't
work"

cheers
jOERG

/jOERG