Charlie's Weekly Report

Guillaume Chereau charlie at openmoko.org
Wed Jun 18 12:17:26 CEST 2008

= Charlie's Weekly Report =

Here is my -first- weekly report. I do it on Wednesday because I won't
be working until next Monday.

== FreeSmartPhone ==
* Started implementing the preferences service.
    Sources :
http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=preferencesd.git;a=summary
    Wiki page :
http://www.freesmartphone.org/mediawiki/index.php/Implementations/OpenPreferencesDaemon
    DBus API doc :
http://www.freesmartphone.org/mediawiki/index.php/Standards/PreferencesAPI

    I created the preferences service from scratch (not using gconf,
dconf or gconf-dbus) The reason being that I want the preferences
service to be aware of the profiles.

    The main points are :
    * Profile aware : Applications don't need to care about profiles,
when we ask for a configuration value, the preferences server will
return the value corresponding to the current profile.
    * Text files storage -> One file per service per profile.
    * No XML : I use YAML for all the files. YAML is simpler and more
powerful than XML.

== Tichy ==
Tichy is a python applets manager for OpenMoko. I really want people to
give a try and give me feedbacks (No need to compile anything for trying
on a desktop computer : just get the sources, go into test/, and run
"python test.py")

The sources can be retrieved from projects.openmoko subversion server,
by typing :
 svn checkout svn://svn.projects.openmoko.org/svnroot/tichy

What I did since last time :
    * Rewritten some parts of the code in cython. It is now fast even on
the OM
    * Added a file browser example application
    * Added a drawing example application

== Todo ==
Next week I will focus on the zhone application :
http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=zhone.git;a=summary
I want to become more familiar with the other freesmartphone services,
and write some tutorials on the FreeSmartphone wiki for the developers
who start to use the framework for there own apps.

- Charlie