[GSoC]: Open Device Daemon, odeviced: Progress Report 4

Sudharshan S sudharsh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:00:58 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Here is the status update of the odeviced project. There have not been
much in terms of new additions though. I was concentrating more on
making the code look pretty and smoothening out some rough edges here
and there. Here are some of the more important changes since the last
update,

1.) Support for automatic creation of DBus paths if the plugins use a
sysfs device class. So a new device_class key in the configuration file
was introduced.

2.) Backlight and Power plugins use the device_class key now.

3.) Stick to OTAPI naming conventions for the DBus methods

4.) Better exception handling in the handlers

I have also checked in a bitbake recipe (..and doesn't work).
For the next few days, I plan to make odeviced API compatible with
python-odeviced. For testing it out, I am planning to make zhone work
with it if possible.

I have also been looking at kevents and maybe it can be an alternative
to the polling of some sysfs files. If anyone has some bookmarks or
resources, please send it across.

@mickeyl:
Will it make sense for usaged to work with odeviced. So if the reference
count of some a requested device reaches 0, usaged could order odeviced
to do the dirty work of shutting down the device. Or is it a case of
over-engineering?

If anyone is interested, heres a screenshot showing the more important
aspects of odeviced
http://sudharsh.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/screenshot1.png

Regards
Sudharshan S