gta02a5 prototype #30 brief review

Daniel Willmann daniel at openmoko.org
Sat Mar 1 00:19:53 CET 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:18:15 +0100
Daniel Willmann <daniel at openmoko.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:41:03 +0100
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org> wrote:
>
> > * GPS module works ok, very impressive actually, we even got a fix
> > inside the ICE (which has very thick windows).
>
> have you tried with your's again? After the stellar performance in the
> ICE I wanted to demonstrate that to Stefan during our train ride to
> Nürnberg today, but I haven't got anything from the GPS yet other than
> empty NMEA sentences:
[...]
> Okay, I just took out the battery while the Neo was on (this is a
> GTA02A4 btw) and tried to push the GPS connector a little and it got
> time and date almost immediately. It's still trying to get a fix, but
> I'm now a couple hundred kilometers from where it would expect.

Something is strange with this device. I didn't manage to get a fix that
night. I have now tried two different internal antennas (one from my
GTA01Bv4) on that device and still no signal at all (not even the time).
Attaching an external GPS antenna worked. The GPS reportet the time
within ~20secs and after additional ~40secs I had a fix. I repeated
that several times and while the external antenna always got a fix the
internal antennas I tried didn't get anything.

My guess at this point is that either the antenna selection or the
phantom voltage for the internal voltage is broken, but I haven't
looked at the schematics yet so that assumption may be silly.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann