help with slow boot times, anyone? ;)

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Wed Mar 12 02:34:36 CET 2008

Magnus Deininger ha scritto:
> Basically, eINIT is a replacement for init, just like initng, upstart,
> launchd and all the other fancy new inits on the block. Our approach to
> the issue is a bit different to the others tho, we're mostly focusing on
> doing things in parallel as well as keeping a low memory profile and
> cutting the need for /bin/sh wherever possible. We're a bit tight on
> developers, so progress ain't the fastest, but we're going steady either
> way and we managed to get some nice bootcharts onto einit.org to
> demonstrate that we are, in fact, a good deal faster than than regular
> sysv/shell based inits. (morphir links a couple chart on his blog on
> einit.org). There's also a neat demonstration video on google video,
> with a computer booting from lilo to gnome with compiz... not much to
> see since it's fast, but hey:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2744120711983143659 .

This seems really cool...! Btw, How long does it take the boot process
using other inits (I mean, by default) in that machine?

> So back to the reason for me writing this mail: morphir reported that
> openmoko phones can take a good 2 minutes to boot... which ain't so
> great, and that might put people off, since a lot of people kinda expect
> 'non-computer devices' to be instant-on. Now, i can't promise einit will
> /quite/ provide /that/ effect (sub-1s bootup's really tricky), but we'd
> definitely like to help out and make it substantially /faster/ than it
> is right now.

I totally agree, also if this phone is made for staying in suspend mode
most of the time, this boot time isn't acceptable also if this part
isn't optimized at all...
I think that any way to improve this, would help the community...!

> Now, none of us actually /has/ a neo, so we can't
> precisely port this without some help and just link you to a package --
> we'd really like to, but without the actual hardware, this /is/ a bit
> tricky. Thus the offer -- if anyone's interested, just /join #einit on
> freenode. And, I'll try to keep an eye on this 'ere mailinglist too. (+
> I'll install the neo1973 qemu in the mean time as well ;)).

Qemu could help you in tests, also if it isn't a neo. If you're able to
make eInit work on neo-qemu, please, let us know how it works and how
much time you gain...

Thanks!

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux