SoC: "Create a set of standard widgets using EFL"

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Wed Mar 26 17:32:24 CET 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008 17:49:41 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:00, andres wrote:
> > > Hi. I'm Andres, a student interested in applying for for this year's
> > > SoC. I have some experience with C and the EFL.
> >
> > Great, nice to see you are interested.
> >
> > > I have some questions about the idea listed on the wiki as "Create a
> > > set of standard widgets using EFL".
> > >
> > > The idea description says the widgets should be "equipped with proper
> > > signal/slot handling, so that you can use them as Edje parts". Does
> > > this mean that it should be implemented as an extension to Edje? So a
> > > given widget, say TEXTENTRY, could be included in an EDC the way RECT
> > > or IMAGE parts do? Basically, I would like a little more insight of the
> > > vision you guys have for the widget library.
> >
> > I cc'ed raster and mickeyl for the vision thing. :)
>
> i am entirely unsure of  what this standard widget set is meant to do...
> the first i heard of it was last week when people were asking why OM has
> this... i am not entirely sure of the intended goals etc. etc. :/

This widget set is the idea of having a small, but useful widget set optimized
for mobile devices with touchscreen interfaces as edje building blocks.

It's about things like switches, multi-state buttons, sliders, wheels, and
perhaps more advanced things like a really useful generic list.

If you look at the iPhone, it has a limited, but powerful (because optimized)
set of these UI components. We need something like that. Using Etk or Ewl for
that would be overkill -- we don't need an old-style toolkit written on top
of a new-style toolkit.

Does that make it clearer?